It is necessary to pre-book your pet’s operation. It is important to us to schedule enough time for each operation, to allow that your pet always receives optimal care. We usually need only a few days’ notice. Routine operations are scheduled Mondays to Fridays.
Please familiarise yourself with our policy regarding Procedure Bookings.
In advance of the surgery:
- If you have any major concerns, please schedule an appointment with a doctor for a physical and assessment for the procedure to be performed.
- Are your pet’s vaccinations up to date?
- You are welcome to complete the Agreement to Treatment as well as Pre-Anaesthetic Consent Forms in advance. (this will safe you some time the morning of admittance)
The night before surgery
- Withhold food after 10pm the night before surgery. Your pet may still have water.
- Pre-operative instructions for Pets Scheduled for Surgery.
The morning of surgery
- Do not feed your pet, not even treats.
- Your pet may still have water until 6.00 am the morning of the procedure.
- Do not give pain medication or prescribed antibiotics. We will administer the necessary medication.
- If you have completed the pre-admittance forms, please bring it with.
- For your pet’s protection, please bring your pet on a leash or in a carrier.
- Please arrive at the hospital between 07.00 and 07.30. If the time does not suit you, you are welcome to leave your pet overnight.
- The necessary consent forms must be completed (if not already filled in). Please allow 15 – 30 minutes for the check-in procedure.
- Leave us a phone number where you can be reached during the day. We will make every effort to call when your pet’s procedure is finished. If you have not heard from us by 15.00, please give us a call on 012 653 4474/2 for an update.
Occasionally there are circumstances beyond your control which makes it impossible to bring your pet on their scheduled day. Please give at least 24 hours’ notice if you are unable to bring your pets for their scheduled appointment. Call 012 653 4474/2 to reschedule.
A general health check is performed pre-operatively, and a sedative and long acting pain medicine is administered according to your pet’s weight.
Discharges in the afternoon
- Discharges are in the afternoon between 15.30 and 19.00. If you would like to discuss any concerns, please feel free to make an appointment with a specific doctor when we phone you after the surgery.
- The account must be settled in full with discharge.