fbpx
Telephone: 012 653 4474/2              Emergencies: 082 5511966                       Email: accounts@bakenkop-vet.co.za

Pet Star of the Month January 2019 – Patches Wentworth

Meet Patches, the 7 month old adorable Basset pup and very much loved member of the Wentworth family.
The Wentworth family did know that puppies (especially basset puppies) love to chew and swallow foreign objects. Keeping this in mind, they bought Patches many toys to keep him busy and entertained. Only toys that they pre-checked and approved as safe enough not to be swallowed.

One morning Patches did not want to eat his breakfast, which was very unlike him. He became a bit lethargic and later started to vomit. His owners were very concerned and took him to a nearby veterinary clinic in Centurion. The veterinarian took abdominal X-rays and found a foreign body obstruction in his intestines. It appeared to be a rock.

The Veterinary Clinic referred Patches to our Hospital for an emergency exploratory laparotomy (surgical incision into the abdominal cavity) to remove the foreign body that was blocking the intestines.

Dr Kristina Lutz together with two of our qualified veterinary nurses went into theatre with Patches straight away. Sister Akhira monitored Patches’ anaesthesia throughout the whole operation (making sure that his heart rate, blood pressure and breathing was normal) while Sister Jeani assisted Dr Lutz with the operation. As seen on the X-ray, a very big rock was found in the small intestine. It had bruised and started damaging the intestinal wall. If the rock was not removed surgically, it could have caused the intestines to rupture into the peritoneal cavity causing infection, sepsis and most probably resulting in Patches’ untimely death.

The rock was successfully removed and Patches spent two nights in our hospital where our doctors together with our day and night nurses closely monitored Patches 24 hours a day. We made sure that when he went home his pain was under control, he did not vomit and he ate on his own again.

 

Although the family took all the necessary precautions to avoid a foreign body, Patches still decided to find a rock and swallow it. We know that it is in his inquisitive nature to want to explore and we understand that an accident like this can happen so quickly. Unfortunately we can try protect our pets but we cannot always keep them safe from harm. With this being said we are very proud of Patches to have gone through such major surgery so early in his life.

We sincerely hope that Patches will be more careful of what he plays with and chews on. Thank you to the Wentworth family for allowing us to help Patches and for being such good pet owners.

We hope that this story will warn other pet owners of how easily a pet can have a foreign body (this includes bones, sosatie sticks, toothpicks, toys, blankets, towels, underwear etc.) We also strongly advise all pet owners to look at a Medical Insurance plan for example Medipet (https://medipetsa.co.za/). This will come in handy when something unexpected like this happens to your pet.

Contact Us

Tel 012 653 4474/2 and After hours 082 5511 966 Fax 012 653 4353

Address: 1 Caper avenue, Eldoraigne x 3, Centurion

Get our App today!