Dogs donating blood- Let your gentle giant be a HERO!
Does your dog qualify?
• Dog must be between 1-6 years old
• Good temperament, not aggressive and calm
• Large breed dog over 25kg
• Vaccinations up to date
• Must use tick and flea treatments monthly
• If they have ever received a blood transfusion themselves, they can’t become a blood donor
What are their different blood groups?
Canine blood types are denoted by “DEA,” or Dog Erythrocyte Antigen, and are broken down into eight categories:
Here is how it works!
Blood is collected once every 3-4 months.
We will make an appointment with you 1-2 days prior to the day of collection. Your doggy can be dropped off the morning and fetched when we are done or when you come back from work. We can also arrange to fetch animals if someone will be home and it is not too far from the Clinic.
The Collection process:
The collection area on the neck is shaved and surgically prepared to avoid contamination or infection.
Blood is collected using a collection bag and needle similar to those used in humans.
In some cases a light sedation may be needed to calm nervous donors.
One bag of 500ml is collected per donor.
What happens to the blood after collection?
We use these products in our hospital for critically ill patients suffering from diseases e.g. Babesia, Parvo, rat poison cases or trauma cases such as bite wounds.
As a token of our appreciation, after every donation you will have a choice of:
• an annual vaccination and deworming
• or a 8kg bag of Vets Choice of your choice
• or R300 credit on your account
If you would like to enroll your pet on this program, feel free to contact Sr Cindy at 012 653 4474 / email@example.com