Dermatology FACTS for the PET OWNER
Skin problems and allergies are a very common problem in pets. If you have ever had an itchy and scratching pet, you will understand how frustrating it can be, for both you and your pet. Your pet’s skin acts as protective barrier, once this barrier is compromised it is easy to get infections and other health problems.
A few Dermatology facts to keep in mind:
- Skin problems can be caused by either parasites, environmental allergies or food allergies
- Sometimes we can diagnose a skin problem by doing one simple test
- Other times we have to diagnose by eliminating all possible causes. This might take a few tests and some time
- You need to be realistic
- You need to be patient
- You need to be compliant
- There is no overnight cure
- You need to keep note of any changes (diet, shampoo, season etc.)
- Be aware that most allergic pets will be allergic for the remainder of their life. We can only help you manage the problem
- Follow up appointments are an important part in sorting out the problem
We understand that DERMATOLOGY problems can be frustrating but we want to motivate our clients not to give up hope. We have helped many pets sort out their itchy feet, ears and overall skin. We can help your pet too.